Call us today to speak to an expert

0207 7 100 400

Can I Get a Mortgage in Scotland When Paid in Yen?

my daughter is uk resident. she works for chinese company in china from uk. she is paid into bank in yen then changed in bank to sterling. she pays tax in china. having problems finding a mortgage. she has made an offer on property in scotland where she lives. can you help?

elizabeth whitehead

Ask the Specialist response:

Thanks Elizabeth,

We do work with customers who receive their income in currencies other than British Pounds - such as US Dollars, Euro's, Australian Dollars, New Zealand Dollars, UAE Dirham and Yen as well as many others.

It is complicated by the fact that your daughter wishes to buy in Scotland and there are fewer mortgage lenders that will consider properties in Scotland versus England and Wales.

You also state she is not a UK tax payer. We have helped many clients who are not UK tax payers - however we would need to find out a little bit more about her situation in this area. Also you mention she is paid in Yen and not Chinese Renminbi/Yuan - so we would need to understand why this is the case given her employer is Chinese.

However, it could be one we would be able to help with. It is going to depend on your daughters situation such as age, job role, length of time in employment and nature of the contract she has, credit history, deposit available, how she moves between the UK and China and the length of time she spends in each location, why she is paid in Yen etc. etc.

I would certainly speak to one of our advisers by calling 020 77 100 400 and they should be able to quickly assess the situation and let you know if we can help.

Capital Fortune

As featured

The Mail Online The Guardian
The Independent

Our customers have rated our service

Feefo logo

Awards from

Awards All
Awards All
Awards All
Awards All